Grace Dieu Park Cricket Club History

A Short History of G.D.P.C.C

1863
First match in the club's history which was made up of family and employees of the De Lisle estate. Matches were played at Grace Dieu Manor.
Information on the Manor can be found here

1934
The club moved to the the present home behind the Bull's head at Grace Dieu. Previously it was a small hay field.

1958
Grace Dieu lost in the final of the Coalville Times Charity Cup to Ibstock Town C.C by 69 runs at the Snibston Colliery Ground.

1959
The club purchased the ground, to provide the security of a permanent home. A tea hut/changing room was purchased to relieve the pressure on the tiny pavilion.
The first Sunday fixture list was introduced.

1961
The club bought a set of gang mowers.

1963
The club went on a tour of Kent and Sussex and played 3 matches.

1967
The club's 1st team joined the North Leicestershire Cricket League.

1971
The club bought a new set of gang mowers to mow the outfield. They were pulled by an ex army Land Rover.

1972
A new pavilion, complete with electricity and running water was bought, and this is still our current pavilion today. It was opened by Mr. Booth with Len Wass, Alf Wilmott and Cyril Lyle in attendance.
A junior section for the club was also formed.

1974
A motorised roller was purchased and the infamous old roller made redundant.

1979
The pavilion was further improved and could now accommodate a licenced bar.

1983
The club's 1st team joined the newly formed Leicestershire Senior League.

1985
The 1st team played Bardon Hill in the Heather Cup final. Lost a close game by 3 runs. The club's 2nd team joined the Leicestershire Senior League. Extensive alterations to the pavilion took place, to enable the club's social activities to increase.

1986
This was a very successful year for the club.  The various teams won a very impressive five trophies. That is two league championships and three cups.






 
Grace Dieu playing at their old home the manor.










The two Photographs above are of the successful 1st XIs of our club from the 1980s.